05 Jun PhD and MPhil Scholarship opportunities_KNUST
Admission of Candidates into Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Planning and Development Studies
In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme (Strengthening Capacities for Land Governance in Africa)
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi
College of Art and Built Environment
Department of Planning,
The programme aims at fostering strong internationally oriented higher education systems in West and Central Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. The programme seeks to strengthen capacities for land governance in Africa. To this end, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is offering:
up to 2 Scholarships for MPhil Programmes (In-Country/In-Region); and
up to 4 Scholarships for PhD Programmes (In-Country/In-Region).
Department of Planning, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)
Programmes supported by the Scholarship include:
MPhil Planning (by research);
MPhil Development Studies (by research);
PhD Planning (by research); and
PhD Development Studies (by research).
The scholarships aim at young candidates, mid-career professionals, researchers and university staff development in the first line, without neglecting other public sector demand of academically trained personnel in West and Central Africa.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme Scholarships supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. Applications may come from the subject areas of land administration and management, land economics, natural resource economics, environmental economics, development economics, real estate development and management, environmental law, development studies, urban and regional planning, urban development and management, geomatics (GIS & Surveying), geography, natural resource management, agriculture economics and other land related fields with strong relevance to national development.
Duration of Programme
of the Master programme is generally two years
of the PhD programme is generally four years
starting in October 2017
must be preselected by KNUST according to DAAD selection criteria;
must have completed their last degree not more than six years ago at the time of application;
MPhil applicants must have obtained a minimum of Second Class Lower in the related field from a recognized institution,
PhD applicants must have obtained a Masters degree in the related field from a recognized institution,
clearly show motivation and strong commitment;
have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction (English);
must be nationals or permanent residents of a West and Central African country;
should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative).
Applicants must apply for their studies at KNUST using the following process:
1. Ghanaian applicants (In-Country) must purchase an eVoucher by paying an application fee of Two Hundred and Twenty Ghana Cedis (GHS 220.00) at the following banks: GCB, Ecobank or uniBank.
2. Upon payment of the application fee, candidates will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PIN that will grant access to the online admissions portal.
3. All In-Region Applicants must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
4. Applicants should then proceed to online admissions website: https://apps.knust.edu.gh/admissions/ and begin the application process.
5. Once the process has been completed, candidates must print out 3 copies of the completed application form from the portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies along with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation Letters, and [Transcript for those attending KNUST for the first time]) to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
NB: Additional copy of the application form and all relevant documents should be sent to the email address below:
Deadline for the submission of application forms is 10th June 2017. Application forms submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Only candidates who successfully gain admission will be notified subsequently.
1. The complete documents (see below) should be submitted to DAAD by the applicants via the DAAD-Portal not later than 15th June 2017. Applicants should visit the DAAD-Portal (https://portal.daad.de) to complete the DAAD application. Incomplete applicants or applications that reach DAAD Bonn after the above mentioned deadline will not be considered. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered).
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding”/ “Application”
Documents to be submitted:
– DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal);
– Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable);
– Recommendation letter by university lecturers (Master 1, PhD 2);
– Official letter of admission or any other binding document guaranteeing admission to KNUST;
– Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
– Letter of motivation.
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor;
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”);
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal.
Closing date for the submission of DAAD scholarship applications is 15/06/2017